What We Offer
‘It gave me the confidence to engage with research and an insight into what the best evidence out there looked like and how I could take that into the classroom’
CamSTAR builds a powerful culture of professional learning within schools and Colleges by creating shared knowledge and discourse.
CamSTAR works with schools and Colleges, national and international, to support teachers in building professional knowledge through professional dialogues and practitioner research. It is based on the principles of andragogy (adult learning) and teacher agency. CamSTAR offers both web based and personalised support from its team.
CamSTAR will be accessible to individual Teachers through occasional ‘pay to view’ expert Webinars, but primarily CamSTAR is available through School Silver or Gold Membership, the criteria for which are shown here:
CamSTAR OFFERS TWO, COMPLEMENTARY, ROUTES FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF SCHOOLS’ PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE.
Route 1: CamSTAR Professional Dialogues (CPD); web-based modules on a range of topics (for example, Coaching and Mentoring, Creativity, Wellbeing, Innovative Pedagogy, Dialogic Teaching etc). Bespoke modules can also be developed at the request of schools and Colleges.
- Each module has the option of a Mini-Research Project (approx. 6 hours), supported by CamSTAR, to be completed at the end of the CPD module.
- CamSTAR has a recommended approach to professional learning which is built around a points scale which allows structure with flexibility. Schools and Colleges decide, by negotiation with teachers, how many points are allocated to CPD activities.
Route 2: A larger scale individual or collaborative Teacher Research Project; again supported by CamSTAR, which allows teachers to explore a particular project in greater depth, over a longer period of time. This project is accredited by CamSTAR, and will develop research skills in teachers that will be transferable to classroom contexts.
CamSTAR’S CORE PRINCIPLES
Our core principles are that Teacher Research is central to Teacher Professional growth and to school development; that it is ideally led, resourced and mentored by school leaders; that it is demystified, with clear outcomes and impact, and accessible to all, not some remote academic process which is inaccessible or abstruse: and that it is incisive, focussed, and effects high impact and leverage in developing the highest quality teaching and learning.
SUPPORT AND RECOGNITION:
CamSTAR offers the following:
- CPD modules which are fully resourced and up to date in terms of knowledge and focus.
- Supported Research Projects, including developing skills in research methods.
- Web based guidance on developing and shaping your Research Project, including knowledge banks and methodology sections.
- Advice on timing and practical management of research.
- Access to personal supervisors from the CamSTAR team.
- Recognition of research through the opportunity to apply for a CamSTAR certificate.
ENGAGEMENT, PARTICIPATION, DISSEMINATION:
- Access to CamSTAR Conferences for dissemination.
- CamSTAR schools and Colleges are expected to have an in-school end of year research dissemination event.
- Participation in a national and international network of teacher researchers who are committed to sharing research findings, and having an informed, professional voice about teaching and learning.
- Dissemination of research is achieved both through this website and through an annual ‘work in progress’ Research Conference which each school hosts on a voluntary basis.
We have taken our Research Reports to Conferences across the world, and support teachers who wish to present or publish their work.